Book Review: A Brush with the Moon

Title: A Brush with the Moon
Author: Raquel Lyon
Type: Fiction
Series: Fox Blood
Genre: Fantasy
Acquisition: Purchased Kindle Version
Pages: 364

Premise/Plot: Young aspiring artist Sophie is bitten by a fox while painting near her home.  Shortly thereafter she leaves home to attend Uni with her best friend, Beth.  Once she arrives strange events begin to occur, and the young woman finds herself in the center of a multi-realm, multi supernatural world.  Blessed or cursed, it will be up to her to save the world as we know it.

Rating: 3.5 Stars


Summary: Sophie is young, innocent, and one of those girls who doesn't stand out.  However, she catches the eye of Sebastian(Seb) and his cousin, Connor.  They are drawn to her, and the gorgeous Seb is just the werewolf to show her how special she is, hopefully before the demon Vincent tries to woe her.  During all that, her friend Beth accidentally ingests a mystical potion from another realm.  The trio of Sophie, Seb, and Connor have to travel to procure the ingredients and save her.  While they are doing that it seems more darkness is on the rise, and Sophie is having apparitions of a feral fox goddess who is trying to lead her into her role as keeper of the light and good.  (there's a lot going on in this book)  These all crescendos in a battle after Sophie is taken by a demon, there's an epic battle...


          Quote: 'The eyes I'd seen at the station, but in my dream, they were huge, hovering over me, drawing me towards them, smothering me until I couldn't breathe, while all the time a pure white fox skipped playfully around my supine body.'

One thing I LOVED was the author's ability to really paint the scene with her words.  I was swept up in the scene as the story played like a movie in my head.  I'm sure it helps that everything through Sophie's eyes were described artistically. It really played to the character's observant, artist eyes.

 
          Quote: 'Deep inside me, a fire smoldered as he slid the flimsy straps of my dress off my shoulders.

Just one of those emotion-evoking lines, the eyes read a little quicker to see if indeed that fire consumes or if Sophie will deny herself the satisfaction of physical affections.


          Quote: 'I shivered slightly in the shadow of the treas. Only small areas of dappled sunlight filtered through the leafy canopy, and a low mist lay'

Did you shiver? I sure did.  Another example of the mood and scene is set in such a way that you can picture being there. 


          Quote: 'When she stared directly at my chest and commented that not even the penny hookers down Cookstool Lane used to dress as tackily as we had tonight'

Damn Lara (you will likely hate Lara) she's that self-absorbed, miss perfect, queen bee that you hope is knocked off her high horse at some point.  Her eyes are an alluring purple and I instantly hated her for that fact alone.  Pair that with steal Seb, making Sophie a jealous wreck, and just being all-around a barking b!tch...yea she was easily hated. Ha!


          Quote: 'there was something truly sexy about a man astride a huge beast, controlling it with a squeeze of his tightly wrapped thighs.'

...Go on Sophie, you know were all thinking the same about Connor... Yep Connor!!! but what about Seb?  Love triangle emerging? Sexy, muscular werewolves, I don't blame her one bit. Go on and get yours girl.  Connor is sweet and shows so much respect for Sophie.  He's a little quirky and he definitely has some internal issues, but it gives the character some great depth and a wanting to know what is plaguing his heart and mind.  I really like Connor, even though the leading male is definitely Sebastian, who will inevitably save the day...or will he? 


All this wonderfulness! Why the 3.5 stars you ask?  The ending, I'm not going to spoil it, but the book was on an extremely high point.  The book ends and I have no clue where is Connor? What about Beth? Is Lara okay? There are too many loose ends, it forces me to have to read book two in the series, but I fear that the end will leave me jilted and unsatisfied.  Whatever happened to the series that you can read books independent of each other and have a full complete story?  The cliffhanger ending is brilliant to sell books, I get that, but I still don't like it.  I also feel like there was some time progression that was vague and rushed?  It would have been nice to have a chapter talking about Sebastian's time in Russia, or some sort of Oracle to talk about his quest. There was literally every type of fantasy creature, it could have been done. I was happy the book didn't go into details in the sexual scenes, though there were some hot moments that made me hold my breath, the book was tasteful in those respects.  I really liked the story line though, bitten by a fox and the realization of this whole world they she's been coexisting in was lovely....and yea I'm going to read book two, because the author is that good. The vivid pictures have me sold on the adventure, I can leave this story on pause. 


If you would like to read A Brush with the Moon, it's currently free on Amazon for Kindle: HERE

As always, thank you for sharing your time with me, and I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: A Reliable Wife

Book Review The Devil Wears Scrubs

Book Review: Bittersweet (True North, #1)