Book Review The Devil Wears Scrubs

Title: The Devil Wears Scrubs
Author: Freida McFadden
Type: Fiction
Series: no
Genre: Chick Lit/Medical
Acquisition: Purchased Kindle Version
Pages: 283

Premise/Plot: Fresh from Med School, Dr. Jane McGill had to learn how to be a doctor in what seems to be hell in the form of a community hospital. From crazy wicked cohorts also interning, to the seemingly demonic resident, Dr. Alyssa Morgan, Jane is sleep-deprived and treading water as patient after patient keeps her running around in circles trying to manage it all.

Rating: 4.5 Stars


Summary: First-year intern, Dr. Jane McGill, is having a time of it. At work, she is paired with Connie, a seemingly perfect intern, who never seemed to have a tough caseload a day the entire book.  Of course, Connie is Alyssa's favorite, and even bit of frustration, disappointment, and anger are focused towards Jane.  Poor Jane!  But she has a helper of sorts, a devilishly handsome surgical resident, Ryan. He's confident, sexy, and shameless.  His reputation as a womanizer is no secret, and I was elated that he and Jane shared a lip lock or two.  She also has an ally in another intern Nina, she's quirky and a rule bender, but also feisty and is the perfect friend to get through 1st year with.

Jane is hilarious, I really enjoyed her assessment of people and situations throughout the entire book. I feel like she and I shared similar "unspoken thoughts" while I was doing my clinical rotations.  Like a community hospital, I did my clinical rotations at an intercity hospital in Milwaukee. Nothing short of exciting....and not always in a good way.  I also loved her humanity and the eventual realizations that not every death of a patient warrants tears or any emotion. 

Alyssa reminds me of one of my preceptors, she was a stickler for everything, and if you weren't 5 steps ahead of her (which wasn't possible) you got a stale review handed to you from a pursed lipped, unhappy woman.  Alyssa did have a humbling moment, but she's definitely the Devil ... but there's another one.

Ryan, oh Lordy! I can't help but think of him as the other Devil in the story.  He's arrogant and seeps with sex appeal.  His penetrating blue eyes, perfect teeth, a model of masculinity with rock hard chest and well-sculpted arms...yep, he's the womanizing devil.  Jane has enough to worry about with him invading her thoughts, how dare!  For real though, if a panty-dropping senior surgical resident wanted in my scrub pants, you best believe I'd be following him into his call room too! No shame!!

The patients were great, they were so real, and I got a little choked up with one of the scenarios, I'm not spoiling, but Mrs. Jefferson...


         Quote: 'They say every physician has a graveyard.  Mine may eventually contain Dr. Alyssa Morgan.  Watch out, Alyssa.'

This is how the book begins! Exciting, right?  what does this graveyard contain; bodies? integrity? morals? patients?  Great way to set the tone for the book.


        Quote:  'Days living with my crazy roommate: Too many.   Chance either Julia or I will kill each other during the night: 38% 

I loved how each chapter gave a situation and the likelihood of it happening.  It really spoke of Jane's mental state throughout the book.  She's a hoot I tell you!


       Quote:  'He may be cute, but if he calls me that one more time, I swear I'll punch him in the face.'

Ha! Jane, you're too funny girl.  No way are you punching Mr. Sexy Surgeon in the face.  Maybe smother him with passionate kisses, but not punch.  I do like how he always seemed to know how to irritate her while being charming at the same time.


There are so many great moments along the way, I laughed, I teared up, I sympathized... Frieda McFadden, you really did a great job capturing the hells of a  community hospital and it's learning environment.  The ONLY reason I didn't give this 5 stars is because I want more!  When I got to the end, I was like, whoa wait that can't be it?!  It was a decent place to end it, and I understand its a short comedy, but I could have easily been wrapped up with it for another 260 pages lol
If you're in the medical field, read it! If you have ever interned, read it!  Hell, if you like to laugh and talk crap with coworkers about your boss...yea, you get it...READ IT!

It's available on Amazon HERE

Hope you enjoyed my review....on to the next adventure in the pages!  Keep an eye out for what I'm currently reading and my next review, or Subscribe to be notified when the next post drops!




Comments

  1. I love your inclusion of quotes in the review! This book seems funny, sassy, and right up my alley.
    Your description of the characters has endeared me, I think I'll add this to my book list :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Bittersweet (True North, #1)